The University of Iowa subscribes to several databases for information on funding opportunities. All databases are fairly intuitive but none is all-inclusive. You may search each database by keyword and additional fields such as type of award, type of project, etc. All databases include easy-to-use "Help" links.
If you are a UI faculty or staff or undergraduate student, you may contact the Division of Sponsored Programs to request individual instruction on how to search for external funding -- contacting Oliva Smith, 335-3708. Your training can be provided via email or at your office or location convenient for you. If you are University of Iowa faculty, we will also search for funding for your project if you send an abstract or paragraph describing your project to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a graduate or professional student, please see Graduate and Professional Student Resources.
SUBSCRIPTION DATABASES - SPIN, GrantForward and Grant Advisor are uiowa.edu access only; please see bottom of this page for instructions on logging in from off-campus with HawkID/password. If you have questions about any of the funding databases, please contact Oliva Smith.
SPIN Search has updated its interface. Use the question mark at the right of the search box for search hints such as: use double quotes to search by an exact phrase [ “public health” ], or use the minus sign to designate ‘not’ [ media –social ]. The Category Filter in the upper left categorizes by Applicant type (Individual or Organization) and subdivides the Individual category by career stage.
Have funding alerts sent directly to you: SPIN now offers the "Daily SMARTS Output" funding alert service customized with keywords you provide in your profile. Click “Create a New Profile” and scroll down to "University of Iowa" to set up your profile OR send your contact information and keywords to Oliva Smith and DSP will set up your SMARTS profile and enable you to receive Daily SMARTS Output funding alerts as soon as possible.
Grant Advisor Plus - a newsletter with database searches in an easy-to-use web interface. New content is added once a month; a red + indicates new item posted in current month's newsletter.
Additional resources to search for funding-related information:
- FedBizOpps - federal business opportunities
- Federal Acquisition Jumpstation - links to federal procurement information
- Foundation Center - the most authoritative source of information on private philanthropy in the U.S. Access to the subscription-based Foundation Directory Online is provided on a limited basis [uiowa.edu]; contact Oliva Smith at 5-3708.
- Grants for Individuals - from Michigan State University Librairies. Subject categories make searching easy.
- GuideStar: the National Database of Private Organizations - information on U.S. foundations based on data from IRS Forms 990-PF from private foundations.
- IowaGrants.gov- current "storefront opportunities"
- Iowa Grants Guide - a free database of organizations that fund projects in Iowa.
- Philanthropy News Digest PND - from Foundation Center. Click “RFPs” in the upper banner. Search by keyword or browse by subject.
Accessing University of Iowa subscription-based resources from off-campus computers:
Log in using HawkID/password to University of Iowa Virtual Desktop or copy/paste https://virtualdesktop.uiowa.edu/Citrix/VirtualDesktop/auth/login.aspx .