Questions to Consider before Beginning an Application
Eligibility Requirements of Sponsor
- Organizational Status: Must the organization be an officially incorporated nonprofit with a Board of Directors and officially recorded by-laws?
- Tax Status: Must the organization have its 501 (c3) Tax Exempt ID Number from the IRS at application time or award time?
- Qualifications Status: Does the organization meet all other qualifications such as, amount of income received and/or expended, located within funded geographic area?
- Sponsor Priorities:Is there a match between organization and sponsor priorities?
- Amount of Funding: What is the minimum amount essential for funding the proposal and can a single sponsor provide the funds if the proposal is successful?
- Funding Period: Does the sponsor have limitations on the amount of time allowed for completion of a funded proposal?
- Organizational Capacity: Is the organization ready to manage sponsor funds with responsibility to ensure results promised in the proposal?
- Timing of Funding: When is the funding needed and how long will it take to get the proposed project up and running if funded?
- Critical Dates: Can proposal components be prepared to meet the sponsor's funding calendar requirements (e.g., preliminary and full proposal due dates)?
- Response Time: When will the sponsor review the proposal and notify your organization of its answer?
- Staffing: Does the sponsor have professional staff to oversee funding initiatives?
- Pre-submission Communications: Will the sponsor permit communications with the sponsor's staff prior to submitting a proposal for review, and if so, what is the preferred channel of communication (e.g., email, telephone)?
- Assistance Available: Will sponsor staff review proposal narrative drafts and budgets? If yes, under what circumstances and on what schedule?