eRouting Form and Procedure
The PI or PI designee may initiate an eRouting form in the UIRIS System:
- Go to https://uiris.research.uiowa.edu/index.php.
- Login using your Hawk ID/Password or, if a first-time user, click on the Request Access link to register with the system.
- Locate the section heading Forms.
- As a pilot-group participant, you will see two alternatives for initiating a UI routing form:
- Use Traditional Routing Form, which is the paper form to be used as backup, should you encounter problems in the e-routing process; and
- Routing Form (University of Iowa Proposal Routing Form), which is the new, electronic routing form we’ll be testing. Please select this link to Begin a New Routing Form.
eRouting will accommodate many types of documents, with a particular procedure for each. You will complete the same eRouting form in each case, but, depending on the type of document, you:
- Will be required to attach specific documents to the eRouting Form
The eRouting form includes a section for Attachments, offering a drop-down box listing the most common types – e.g., the Abstract/Project Summary/Protocol; Sponsor Budget; Budget Justification, etc. Here you will upload each required document, as specified within the categorical listing on the following page.
- May be required to deliver certain paper documents to the Division of Sponsored Programs
Some sponsors require an original institutional signature on a paper document rather than, or in addition to, an electronic submission. In such cases you may use the eRouting system to secure departmental and collegiate approval – to complete the required routing – but must deliver the paper document to DSP for signature and/or mailing.
Types of Proposals and Corresponding Routing Procedures
- Grant Proposals to be Submitted Electronically by the Division of Sponsored Programs -- i.e., through Cayuse, FastLane, Grants@Heart, or other electronic submission system established by a federal or private sponsor and requiring the institutional official to complete the e-submission.
Complete the eRouting form. Upload the Abstract/Project Summary, the Sponsor Budget and Budget Justification in the attachments section. Note: There is no need to attach the entire proposal. DSP will review the proposal within the sponsor’s e-submission system.
Grant Proposals to be Submit ted Electronically by PI after DSP Review and Approval -- e.g., an application using proposalCentral or other electronic submission system requiring the PI to complete the e-submission.
Complete the eRouting form. Upload the Abstract/Project Summary, the Sponsor Budget, Budget Justification and any other pages with administrative information in the attachments section. Note: DSP may request additional information or a paper copy of the complete application for the grant file.
Grant Proposals to be Submitted by DSP via Email in doc or pdf format.
Complete the eRouting form. Upload the full Proposal for Email Submission in the attachments section. Use the Comments field in the pre-submit section to provide the sponsor contact name(s) and email address(es). Note: Post-award administrative changes – such as revised budgets and change-in-PI requests – may also be eRouted in this manner.
- Grant Proposals to be Signed/Submitted in Paper Format
Complete the eRouting form. Upload the Complete Proposal within the attachments section. Use the comments field in the pre-submit section to communicate your preference for retrieving the signature page once DSP has signed – e.g., whether you would like to pick up the signed page or if DSP should return the page to you as a scanned PDF, by College of Medicine courier, through campus mail, etc.If original signatures are required, as opposed to a scanned PDF, please also deliver the original paper signature page(s) to DSP, attaching the first page of the eRouting form for identification purposes. Note: If an application is too large to scan/attach to the eRouting form or requires significant revisions after eRouting, DSP may request additional information – i.e., replacement pages or a full paper copy of the final application – for the DSP file.
Complete the eRouting form. Upload the full Contract/Agreement in the attachments section. Note: If the contract is inhard-copy form only, send the hard copy to DSP and attach the first page of the routing form for identification purposes.
- E-Attachments: When uploading documents to the eRouting Form, please take care to select the correct label for each, using the “Other” option only if none of the existing labels meets your needs.
- Caution: Do not upload information/instructions meant for DSP to the eRouting form section for Attachments, as they could be overlooked. Instead, use the Pre-Submit sectionàComments field to bring additional information/instructions to DSP’s attention.
- Paper Documents: When bringing a paper document to DSP, please attach the first page of the eRouting form, enabling us to match the proposal to the eRouting record.
- Submission Deadlines: Standard DSP routing deadlines and copying/shipping policies will apply during this pilot.
- Accuracy in Workflow Paths: It is essential to establish and confirm accurate Workflow paths for approving the eRouting form. If the form encounters an incorrect Workflow path within the originating or a collaborating department, it will not travel beyond the principal investigator. Instead, the PI will receive an error message and the routing deemed invalid; this will require the initiator to start from scratch, completing and submitting a completely new form once paths have been corrected. We are seeking a solution that will enable the PI to re-use the completed form with corrected path, but in the meantime urge PIs to verify their own Workflow paths and ensure any collaborating departments have established appropriate paths before submitting the eRouting form.
- Quality Control through Workflow: We will be relying on the principal investigator and his/her departmental administrator to assist with quality control, ensuring DSP receives all intended information and attachments. Therefore, please:
- Track the eRouting form through the Workflow process; and
- Contact the DSP Helpdesk at 335-2123 one day after the eRouting form has been approved in Workflow, to confirm the information has reached DSP for processing.
- Problems: The current “traditional” paper routing form will continue to be accessible and should be used if the eRouting form is not functioning.
- Questions and Feedback: The Division of Sponsored Programs welcomes your questions and feedback on the eRouting form and procedure. Please contact us at any time, e-mailing email@example.com or phoning 335-2123.