Project Leadership Plan for NIH Applications
When the Multiple PI option is used, the participating PIs must develop a Project Leadership Plan for inclusion in the grant application. The leadership plan must include the following:
- Rationale for selecting the Multiple PI option
- Roles/areas of responsibility of each PI and Working relationship of the PIs
- An explanation of Fiscal and Management coordination
- Decision making process on scientific direction and resource allocation
- Acknowledgement of how intellectual property and publication will be addressed
- Data sharing and communication among PIs and other personnel
- Procedures for resolving conflicts
The University of Iowa suggests the following language for the intellectual property and conflict resolution portions of the leadership plan:
Suggested UI Intellectual Property Language: Authorship will be determined in accordance with generally acceptable practices, and based on the relative scientific contributions of the research team members. PIs will follow the intellectual property policies and practices of their respective institutions, with support and assistance from the applicable technology transfer office(s). Inventorship will be determined in accordance with U.S. (international, if applicable) patent law.
Suggested UI Conflict Resolution Language: PIs shall meet to discuss resolution of the conflict. If they are unable to resolve the conflict, standard University procedures for resolving any dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to a subaward will be followed.
Sample leadership plans are available on the NIH website.
Web pages for NIH Multiple PI Option
November 20, 2006
Multiple Principal Investigators