The University of Iowa issues subawards when a portion of the work related to an externally funded project is to be performed by a third party. The Division of Sponsored Programs develops and negotiates the general administrative terms for subawards. The PI is responsible for determining the budget and monitoring subaward performance and payment, including monitoring the budget and scope of work for compliance with UI and sponsor policies and the terms of the prime award. Grant Accounting, Purchasing, and Accounts Payable work with the purchase order, risk assessment, invoices, and payment.
There are times when work performed by a third party (Subawardee) will not include funding from the University of Iowa prime award, but that work will require the subawardee to perform human or animal studies. These are called “Zero-Dollar” Subawards and are required in order to flow down the terms and conditions of the prime award, as well as ascertain the subawardee's compliance with the appropriate human subject and animal care regulations. To request a Zero-Dollar subaward, please complete the Zero Dollar Subaward Request Form (for New Agreements or Amendments) and either email to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a hardcopy to 2 GILH.
Outgoing Subaward Overview Process Flowchart
The flowcharts are an overview process for new subawards and amendments.
Outgoing Subaward Roles and Responsibilities
The following links are a description of the corresponding roles and responsibilities. Please click on the corresponding link for your role and responsibility, or on any link to view others'' roles and responsibilities.
Additional Information on Roles and Responsibilities
The following documents are required to initiate a subaward:
1. Preq. The category code on the Preq should be 99990000, which will bring up the designated Purchasing Agent for subawards. You must complete the Sole Source Justification if the subaward exceeds $25,000.
2. Subawardee Statement of Work. Send the statement of work as an attachment to the Preq, labeled with the Req ID number.
3. Subawardee Budget. F&A cost rates must be within the limit allowed by the prime sponsor for the prime award project. If the project is federally funded, confirm that the Subawardee has federally approved fringe benefit and F&A rates if those costs are included in the budget. In the event that federally negotiated F&A and/or fringe rates do not exist, a maximum of 8% MTDC, less equipment, F&A will be allowed, and supporting documentation for fringe benefits must be provided. If the Subawardee is required to provide cost share or matching funds, a cost share budget should also be provided. Send the budget as an attachment to the Preq, labeled with the Req ID number.
4. Audit Certification and Financial Status Questionnaire. The questionnaire is required for all new subawards issued to individuals or entities that are not U.S. accredited institutions of higher education. Send the Questionnaire as an attachment to the Preq.
5.Subrecipient Questionnaire – Conflict of Interest. Effective August 1, 2012, Form A is required for all subawards in which the funding source is PHS. PHS Agencies include: NIH, CDC, FDA, HRSA, AHRQ, IHS, SAMHSA, and ATSDR. Form A should be completed at application submission stage and should be attached to the DSP Proposal Routing Form. For complete instructions, please see the Process Map, Form A, and the Outgoing Subaward Conflict of Interest FAQ’s below.
For complete instructions, see the links listed at the end of this page. If you have questions about outgoing subawards, please email email@example.com or call 335-2123. Outgoing subawards are generally assigned to DSP staff according to the PI's college or unit. Click here for the DSP staff directory.
Outgoing Subawards: Further Reading
- Initiating a Subaward
- Advance Payments
- Revising an Existing Subaward
- Administrative Procedures for New Subawards
- Subaward, Professional Services Agreement, or Fee for Service (Vendor Purchase Order)?
- Subawards and Fee for Service Agreements with Another UI Department
- Audit Certification and Financial Status Questionnaire
- Subaward Amendments
- Conflict of Interest in Research (Outgoing Subaward Institution)
John Massa put in the extra space at the end of the page so that the text anchors will work properly. Without the extra space, this anchor will not go to the correct FORM A and FORM B location (above) and will, in fact, go to the wrong location on the page. This will be very confusing to users attempting to find a form which is mandatory prior to proposal submission. The same is true for another anchor. Please do not delete the space. (The problem is caused by the large footer below, which prevents the page from scrolling down sufficiently to get to the anchor. If you know of another solution, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org )