The Office of the Vice President for Research and its Division of Sponsored Programs offer a variety of training -- i.e., presentations, workshops, and Web-based resources -- to guide UI faculty, staff, and students in their efforts to identify, secure, and manage external funds. Such training is available through the channels described below.
NSF CAREER awards. The session will be offered on Thursday, March 27, 8:15-10:30am in 1117 UCC, and will feature two panels of successful CAREER awardees and CAREER reviewers. The panelists will share their perspectives and take questions from the audience. The session will also introduce applicants to on-campus resources, provide successful proposal examples, and share with tips from the NSF.
Click here for more information.
Our Product Support Team has scheduled webinars for October. These webinars will be sent to everyone who registers, even if you do not attend. Please sign up using the links below.
Getting Started with Cayuse 424
A 30 minute webinar covering the fundamentals of the Cayuse 424 software.
Tue, Oct 14, 2014 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM PDT - https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/647051906
Budgeting FAQs in Cayuse 424
This webinar will cover the five most Frequently Asked Questions about budgeting in Cayuse 424. New and experienced users alike will find this information useful. The presentation will run approximately 30 minutes and we will be taking questions after the webinar. Please join us for Budgeting FAQs in Cayuse 424.
Thu, Oct 16, 2014 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM PDT - https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/839227298
Subawards in Cayuse 424 & Subawards.com
A 30 minute webinar to demonstrate how to prepare, validate, share and submit subcontract proposal data in Cayuse 424.
Tue, Oct 28, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM PDT - https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/880266162
Routing in Cayuse 424
63% of customers who use Cayuse 424 are currently utilizing the Routing tab in some manner. With the webinar 'Routing in Cayuse 424,' we will be discussing both basic and advanced functionality, as well as walking through the entire process. The presentation will run approximately 30 minutes, and we will be taking questions after the webinar. Whether you've been using routing since your institution's inception of Cayuse 424, or are thinking about giving it a try in the near future, join us for 'Routing in Cayuse 424'.
Thu, Oct 30, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM PDT - https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/371145378
The webinars include a long distance number, but it is not necessary to dial in if you have speakers connected to your computer. You will be unable to talk with attendees during these presentations, so we encourage you to listen through your computer.
- Research Administrator Meetings (Quarterly) - November 27, 2012
- DSP Presentations - The DSP staff will hold individual meetings and give group presentations upon request. Please review the available topics and scheduling information posted here.
- Cayuse Training (emphasizing NIH Cayuse/Grants.gov applications, but useful for all federal Cayuse/Grants.gov applications)
Tues Sept 3, 2013: 2-4pm 2117 MERF (No need to pre-register.)
Mon Sept 9, 2013: 10am - noon S401 PBB (No need to pre-register.)
- NIH Public Access Workshops
Wednesday, May 8, 3 - 4 pm
Thursday, May 9, 10:30 - Noon
- Conflict of Interest Process Training
Thursday, Jan. 10 2:00 p.m. 2520D UCC
Thursday, Jan. 17 1:00 p.m. 1502 JCP, Ziffren Conference Room
Wednesday, Jan. 23 9:00 a.m. 1502 JCP, Ziffren Conference Room
No registration is required. Just show up. If you have questions please email Mike Weaver.
- Contract Tracking and Tips for Faculty and Staff
What: Demonstration and discussion for UI faculty and staff involved in routing contracts for signature through the Division of Sponsored Programs.
When: Tuesday, January 15 / 11:00 AM – Noon
Where: Iowa Memorial Union / Room 345 - Northwestern
Instructors: Suzanne Doershuk and Angi Roemerman
Maximum Enrollment: 40
Come and meet contract triage specialists Angi Roemerman and Suzanne Doershuk. Learn about the contract review and award process in DSP. Angi and Suzanne will demonstrate how to track the progress of your agreement using the DSP Contract Log and share tips to help you get your agreement signed and your MFK issued as quickly as possible.
Please bring your questions! Please register online at Learning and Development – Contract Tracking and Tips. Last minute deciders also welcome.
NIH Training Webinar: New NIH Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR) -- October 17, 2012, 12:30-2:00 p.m., 2117 MERF
The Division of Sponsored Programs invites NIH grantees and their departmental administrators to attend this webinar on the NIH RPPR – a new, eRA Commons-based module that will eventually replace the electronic Streamlined Non-competing Award Process (eSNAP) and paper reporting system. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
NCURA Video: It Takes a Village to Manage Awards: Post-Award Issues for Pre-Award Research Administrators & Departmental Administrators- October 9, 2012
This program will look at compliance issues related to proposal preparation, submission processes, award negotiation and acceptance, project management and closeout. Specific emphasis is placed on interdepartmental communication, budget/budget justification development, cost transfers, and cost sharing. Questions may be directed to Michael Weaver in DSP. Click here for more information about registering.
Grant Proposal-Writing Workshops: September 29 and 30, 2011
The Office of the Vice President for Research, Obermann Center for Advanced Studies, and International Programs office will offer a series of grant proposal-writing workshops for UI faculty, staff, predoctoral students, and postdoctoral scholars on September 29 and 30, 2011. Dr. Robert Porter of GrantWinners Seminars will lead three workshops on dedicated topics, including Writing Successful Grants; Career Development Grants for Pre- and Postdocs; and Building the NEH Grant Proposal. Each 3-hour session requires individual registration. To learn more about this programming, and to sign up to attend, please visit this website. Questions may be directed to Leslie Weatherhead in the OVPR.
- Grants.gov/Cayuse Training: Proposal Preparation Session for UI Faculty and Staff: September 7, September 8, and September 14, 2011
This training session will emphasize NIH applications, but will be useful for preparing Grants.gov/Cayuse applications to any federal agency. For more information, please go here.
- Grants.gov/Cayuse Training: Subcontract Preparation Session for UI Faculty and Staff: September 19 and September 28, 2011
This training session will emphasize NIH applications, but will be useful for preparing Grants.gov/Cayuse subcontract components in applications to any federal agency. For more information, please go here.
- Staff Development Courses: Various Dates
Courses on a variety of topics -- e.g., grant proposal-writing, grant budgeting, and grant management -- are offered at various times within the academic year. To review and register for available courses, please go here.
- Grant Writer's Tools - Valuable sources of proposal-writing information.
- NIH Podcasts - NIH staff members discuss a range of topics designed for investigators, fellows, students, research administrators, and others.
- NCURA YouTube Tuesday - Short videos on various topics from the National Council of University Research Administrators.
- Principal Investigator & Research Administrator Human Resources Management - A website designed to guide principal investigators and their project administrators in the financial and human resources management of grant and contract projects.
- Research Administration Handbook (RAH) - A handbook of basic information on external funding application preparation, award processing, and postaward management within the UI system.
- Research Administrator Meeting Handouts - Meeting presentation slides/handouts for those unable to attend or wishing to review the quarterly RAMs.