Thinking about submitting, or have you been asked to be a UI subcontract partner in, a SBIR/STTR application?

The University of Iowa (UI) partners with small businesses that receive funding under the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) federal programs. Before applying for SBIR/STTR funding, please review the specific program announcement to learn of any conditions/restrictions associated with the program – see 

Several UI departments assist with SBIR/STTR applications and awards. Which departments you need to work with depends upon several factors relating to your involvement in the SBIR/STTR project. You may also send your questions to the following email:

Which applies to you?

Which office should be contacted?

Contact details

You are, or plan to be, submitting as a UI startup companyThe UIVentures program assists university inventors in creating startup companies based on their research.319-384-3425
You are a UI employee and have an interest in the companyThe Conflict of Interest in Research Office facilitates compliance with federal regulations and UI policies associated with financial interests in research and institutional conflicts of interest.319-384-4256
Your project involves UI intellectual property or may lead to inventionsThe University of Iowa Research Foundation assists research faculty with patents, copyrights, licenses, and other aspects of technology commercialization.319-335-4486
You will be involved in the project as a UI partner/subcontractorThe Division of Sponsored Programs assists with the various requirements and procedures for requesting, accepting, and managing external research funding and conducting sponsored projects.319-335-2123
You plan to include human subjects at UIThe Human Subjects Office oversees the involvement of human subjects research at UI and provides administrative support for the University of Iowa Institutional Review Boards.319-335-6564
You plan to include animal subjects at UIThe Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee or the Office of Animal Resources oversees care and use of animal subjects.319-335-7985

Reviewed May 2024